[NL] COVID-19 Protocol for film and audiovisual sector
Anne van der Sangen
Institute for Information Law (IViR), University of Amsterdam
On 18 May 2020, the Dutch Audiovisual Producers Alliance (Nederlandse Audiovisuele Producenten Alliantie, NAPA) and Dutch Content Producers (Nederlandse Content Producenten, NCP), which are associations for independent professional producers, presented a Protocol for different audiovisual productions during the COVID-19 crisis. The Netherlands Film Fund (Nederlands Filmfonds), the national agency responsible for supporting film production and film-related activities in the Netherlands, will ensure the correct use of the Protocol. On 29 May 2020, the second version of the Protocol and corresponding toolkit were published.
In cooperation with various trade and professional associations, a Protocol and a concrete toolkit have been formulated for film and audiovisual media. The Protocol contains rules of conduct and guidelines relating to hygiene as well as precautionary and protective measures. By adopting the Protocol, productions can start in a safe and responsible manner.
The Protocol is in line with the (changing) guidelines provided by the Dutch Government and the National Institute for Public Health and Environment (Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu, RIVM), which have been translated into general measures to be taken in various risk situations, subdivided into low, medium and high risk. Part of the Protocol is an indicative risk analysis table in which the guidelines are specified for the various phases in an audiovisual production per discipline/department and associated functions. For example, in case of necessary site visits, the number of participants shall be kept to a minimum. It is also recommended to work as much as possible in permanent teams. A list of frequently asked questions has also been added to the Protocol.
The Protocol provides guidelines for starting and resuming productions – indoors or outdoors, at home or in the office. In addition, the Dutch Academy for Film (DAFF) has developed a toolkit containing practical advice relevant to the workplace. These documents will continue to be updated on the basis of insight gained. Still, it remains necessary to consider each individual production, and to examine whether and under what conditions it may be justified to run productions in the current situation.
- Nederlands Filmfonds, COVID-19: Corona-protocol Film en AV-Sector vandaag presenteerd, 18 mei 2020
- Netherlands Film Fund, COVID-19 outbreak: Corona-protocol Film and AV-sector represent today, 18 May 2020
- Corona-protocol Film en AV-sector vandaag gepresenteerd, Filmfonds
- Corona Protocol Film and AV sector presented today, Filmfonds
- Nederlandse Audiovisueal Producenten Alliantie en Nederlandse Content Producenten, Toolkit COVID-19 audiovisual sector, 29 mei 2020
- Dutch Audiovisual producers and Alliance Dutch Content Produceres, Toolkit COVID-19 audiovisual sector, version 2.0, 29 May 2020
- Nederlandse audiovisueal Producenten Alliantie en Nederlandse Content Producenten, COVID-19 Protocol Audiovisuele sector.
- Dutch Audiovisual producers and Alliance Dutch Content Produceres, COVID-19 Protocol audiovisual sector, version 2.0.
This article has been published in IRIS Legal Observations of the European Audiovisual Observatory.